Edward Archbold, 32, had secured the world’s least appealing title this week: champion roach eater. However, the Florida man then collapsed and died in front of the Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach.
Archbold also ate various other bugs and had competed earlier in the superworm-eating contest. He was competing for a python but vomited not long after winning the competition. After winning the roach-eating competition, Archbold vomited and collapsed.
An autopsy has been held to try to isolate the cause of death. If it is due to some form of contamination from either the worms or the roaches, there could be an obvious lawsuit against the store for sponsoring such a bizarre contest. However, the question of plaintiffs’ conduct would loom high over the court.
Michael Adams, professor of entomology at the University of California at Riverside, also noted that “some people do have allergies to roaches.”
The participants signed waivers “accepting responsibility for their participation in this unique and unorthodox contest.”