By Darren Smith, Weekend Contributor
Your author recently purchased some decorative garden lights at a garage sale and found that they could have endangered his family. Being a typical man, he took the lights out of the box and assembled them without reading important safety warnings in the owner’s manual. Fortunately providence offered protection despite such negligence.
As a public service, we have provided the opportunity for others to avoid such hazards. Please read below the fold for some important safety information.
The owner’s manual for these garden lights actually lists the following hazards to be considered during assembly:
Important Safety Information
- Assemble only according to these instructions. Improper assembly can create hazards
- Wear ANSI-approved safety goggles during assembly
- Keep assembly area clean and well lit
- Keep bystanders out of the area during assembly
- Do not assemble when tired or when under the influence of drugs or medication
- Position battery in proper polarity and do not install batteries of different types, charge levels, or capacities together
- WARNING: The brass components of this product contain lead, a chemical known in the State of California to cause birth defects (or other reproductive harm). (California Health & Safety Code Section 25249.5 et. seq.)
- This is not a toy.
- Do not allow children to play with or near this item
- Use as intended only
The manufacturer went to great lengths it seems to bring such a product to homes and gardens in America. A lot of good men were lost. Hopefully future customers wanting happy, colorful garden night lights will be safe and the past sacrifices of these unsuspecting men, too eager to assemble butterflies without reading the directions first, will not have been in vain.
By Darren Smith
The views expressed in this posting are the author’s alone and not those of the blog, the host, or other weekend bloggers. As an open forum, weekend bloggers post independently without pre-approval or review. Content and any displays or art are solely their decision and responsibility.
Author is not responsible for any injuries or deaths resulting from looking at the garden lights.