We previously discussed the untimely and untidy death of Edward Archbold, 32, who collapsed after winning the title as the world champion roach eater. We speculated about the possibility of liability for a “bad roach.”
The autopsy is now in on Archold and the finding is that he choked to death on the roaches.
Archbold also ate various other bugs and had competed earlier in the superworm-eating contest. He was competing for a python but vomited not long after winning the competition. After winning the roach-eating competition, Archbold vomited and collapsed.
The report says Archbold of West Palm Beach died as a result of “asphyxia due to choking and aspiration of gastric contents.”
There remains the question of the liability of the sponsor but questions of plaintiffs’ conduct would make any lawsuit difficult given the autopsy. If choking is a basis for liability, any pie eating or other food competition could fall under the same theory. These contestants assume such a risk and eat only as much as they wish in the competitions. What could be the basis for liability is a lack of medical assistance at such competitions. There could also be a question of whether the sponsor should have prevented competition in multiple events. These however remain a stretch given the consent and obvious danger of choking that attends such competitions. People occasionally choke to death in such competitions like hot-dog eating contests, including young people.
The video below shows a willing Archbold wolfing down roaches and roach parts before he collapsed:
Source: LA Times