There is a disturbing account of a death of a young man who participated in the annual Halloween celebrations in New Orleans. Clayton Otwell, 21, went to New Orleans with a friend to go to the Voodoo Festival in the City Park. After helping a stranger, he was offered the chance to try a new type of drug called 25-I. It took just one drop up the nose to kill him. The drug is called “N-Bomb” for its chemical composition 25I-NBOMe and is an extremely potent synthetic substance analogous to LSD.
Otwell was drinking vodka-loaded Red Bulls at the festival with his friend, Mandie Newell. They had a rule never to try drugs offered by strangers. However, after Otwell found a cellphone of a stranger, the stranger offered to let him try a new synthetic hallucinogenic drug called 25-I. Apparently, you take the drug through the nose. However, once given a single drop from a vial, Otwell began babbling incoherently. His friend took him to the medical tent but within 30 minutes, Otwell had a seizure and never regained consciousness. He died days later on life support.
His friend said that she did not know why he took the drug but is quoted as saying “I guess the drinking impaired his judgment on whether or not he should take it.” Two other people were treated for 25-I overdoses that weekend. Witnesses say that dealers at Voodoo Fest were offering people doses of 25-I all weekend.
25I-NBOMe (2C-I-NBOMe) is a derivative of the phenethylamine psychedelic 2C-I developed in 2003 by Ralf Heim at the Free University of Berlin.
This research drug is killing people around the country. Two teenagers in Grand Forks, N.D. and a 16-year-old boy in Sacramento, Calif., are among the dead. There were seven non-fatal overdoses with the drug reported near Richmond, Virginia.