We have been discussing the alarming erosion of free speech in Canada in the last few years — part of a trend in the West. Those concerns have been rekindled by the trial of Roy Arthur Topham, who was charged with promoting hatred against Jewish people through his website RadicalPress.com. He was arrested by the RCMP Hate Crimes Unit in 2012.
While these postings would be viewed as distasteful and hateful in the United States, they would be fully protected under the first amendment. However, in Canada, the indictment charges Topham with two counts of “communicating statements, other than in private conversation, that wilfully promote hatred against an identifiable group, people of the Jewish religion or ethnic origin.” In the articles Topham accused “World Jewry” of starting World War II, controlling the media and planning for world domination. He also used the phrase “Synagogues of Satan.” Topham wrote a long statement on his blog in response to his arrest.
The government argued in court that all of this is untrue and that “[t]here is no global conspiracy. There is no secret kabal of Jews wanting to control the world.” However, that misses the point. Few people would take these arguments seriously but that does not change the fact that he has a right to articulate such views. If the government witnesses want to prove him wrong, they can exercise the same free speech rights to denounce him and his views.
This trial comes in the same month as the conviction of 12 people in France for merely protesting Israeli products as a form of hate speech. It is all part of the alarming rollback on free speech rights in the West, particularly in England and Canada ( here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here). Much of this trend is tied to the expansion of hate speech and non-discrimination laws.
A few examples from our cousins in the North are quire chilling:
• Comedian Guy Earle was found guilty of violating the human rights of a lesbian couple after he got into a trash-talking session with a group of women during an open-mike night at a nightclub.
• Marc Lemire, the webmaster of a far-right political site, was punished for allowing third parties to leave insulting comments about homosexuals and blacks on the site. Federal Court Justice Richard Mosley ruled that “the minimal harm caused . . . to freedom of expression is far outweighed by the benefit it provides to vulnerable groups and to the promotion of equality.”
• “The Rev. Stephen Boission and the Concerned Christian Coalition for anti-gay speech, censured future speech that the commission deemed inappropriate.” While the Human Right Commission found “no direct victim . . . has come forward,” it still ordered damages paid to a college professor to brought the complaint and ordered the defendants to stop any future such “disparaging remarks.”
• In 2008, right-wing publisher Ezra Levant investigated by a tribunal for his publication of the Danish Mohammed cartoons for “advocating hatemongering cartoons in the media” and allegations from a Muslim that he was “defaming me and my family because we follow and are related to Prophet Mohammed.”
• In 2008, Maclean Magazine was charged with hate speech for publishing an article written by Mark Steyn entitled Why the Future Belongs to Islam. The British Columbia Human Rights Tribunal, demanded answers on why a few pages of the book were viewed as derogatory by complaining Muslims.
These cases represent more than a lack of support for free speech. They represent a comprehensive assault on free speech.
The problem with free speech is that you often have to support the claims of people you may find hateful and even disgusting. We do not need free speech to protect popular speech or speakers. However, once we place ourselves on the slippery slope of speech regulation (as has Canada), the result is the diminishment of all of our rights.
What do you think?
56 thoughts on “British Columbia Man Stands Trial For The Crime Of Criticizing Jews On His Blog”
Reblogged this on Matthews' Blog.
Whoa! Check out these headlines relating to Turkey’s current role on the world stage. ‘Strangely’ they corroborate SO much of what Avi Lipkin states in the 2011 video posted above. Gee, maybe some people DO know what they’re talking about. Yes, not 100% of what he states has come true, but is 80% good enough? Probably not…. 🙂
Patriot “All the U.S. invasions are Wars of Aggression – War Crimes”
OMG where did you come from? I’m with you 100%. For my contributions to this site, I’ve been called everything from “someone to associate with if you’re into slumming” to lunatic.. Hmmm yet I don’t see any of the good posters here going after you. Is it because I’m a woman??? LOL Sorry, I”m no feminist or into the deranged PC culture.
“Russia has been conducting airstrikes against ISIL radicals in Syria at the request of Syrian President Bashar Assad, while a US-led international coalition, which includes France, has been targeting ISIL positions in the country without the permission of Damascus or the United Nations.”
Our current white house resident is a Sunni Muslim terrorist/extremist. That statement should bring them out of the woodwork. I’m wiling to bet that no one will even watch this before the insults start flying. Video from 9/15/11. Isn’t it interesting that the “wacko” stuff we’ve been trying to wake people up to for YEARS is now coming true?
Finally Confirmed: US Created ISIS Terror Group
“Declassified secret US government document reveals US created ISIS as a tool to overthrow Syria’s President Assad”
Media Blacks Out Pentagon Report Exposing U.S. Role In ISIS Creation
“The report proved that the growth and expansion of ISIS was a direct result of arms being sent by the U.S. to anti-Assad Islamists, with the strategic U.S. intention of toppling the Assad regime in Syria.”
Israel Behind Paris Attacks?
By the way Prof Turley, you better think twice before you walk down this road. There are a lot of heads on spikes along the way, people who thought the Tribe has forgotten its law of “an eye for an eye” …. oh and Moses was merciful compared to today; they are more like Lamech, and want to be avenged seventy-sevenfold!
You guys prolly never heard of Ernst Zundel.
You may oppose Israel, but you are opposing a whole lot of immutable Christians who will go to their graves as such.
Here’s a revelation: Jesus Christ was a Jew.
You need to discover that which you can change and that which you must accommodate.
America and Israel are attached at the hip.
America and Israel are attached at the church.
America and Israel are attached at the psyche.
You might as well ally yourself with the Chosen People.
Besides, they are really funny (watch the Goldbergs sometime).
P.S. Myth buster – the wealthiest people in the world are not all Jewish.
Comments are closed.