Australian customers should have some legitimate questions about the sanitization of the Hungry Jack restaurant outside of Perth. It appears that a man died of a drug overdose in a toilet but was not found for roughly three days by the Australian franchise of Burger King. In a remarkable statement, the police have said that finding a man dead after three days in a toilet is “not being treated as suspicious.” I certainly understand the lack of a suspicion of a crime but at least we could agree that it is a bit curious.
The man is believed to have gone to the restaurant on Friday night but was not found until Monday morning. The restaurant was open for the weekend, so people went in and out of a bathroom with the corpse. While the toilet cubicle had a floor to ceiling door with a single vent, one would have hoped that a cleaning crew might have noted the problem with one stall.
There could be claims of negligent infliction of emotional distress by those unwittingly sharing a bathroom with a corpse, but such belated discoveries are rarely successful in such cases.
Now here is the line that caught my eye: “Stirling City Council health compliance officers . . . [are] looking at whether health or sanitary issues needed to be addressed.” I would think that leaving a corpse on a toilet for three days should raise a few basic sanitary issues but that may be just me.