To his credit, President Barack Obama added his voice to “It Gets Better” campaign to try to stem the suicide of gay and lesbian teenagers. Civil libertarians and gay rights advocates might be a bit more responsive if the message was not released the day his Administration successfully got a stay to be able to resume the removals of gays from the military and a week after it appealed a major victory in favor of gay marriage.

“When you’re teased or bullied it can seem like somehow you brought it on yourself … With time you’re going to see that your differences are a source of pride, a source of strength.” Unless of course you mention your sexual orientation to anyone while serving the country. Then the President wants to be sure that no court can stop your discharge or allow you to marry (despite his support for both gay service and marriage, of course).

I find this video a bit more credible:

Source: Guardian

100 thoughts on “It Gets Better . . . Unless You Try To Join My Military or Get Married in My Church

1. Not sure I understand or agree with the message or the logic of the “It’s gets better” Program.” Doesn’t it imply that you have to suffer these Cretins until you get older so just get used to it. Why not simply say these tormentors are wrong and we will deal with them harshly as we would if you were harassed for being Jewish or African -American. Why not tell the kids they have self-worth and no adult or snotty-nosed bully can take that away with words or deeds? Tell ’em we’re in your corner and we’re not putting up with any bullying. That’s the message I’d give, not some pitiful, hand wringing stance that it’s gets better with time.

2. The Fort Worth City councilman was very brave. Fort Worth is dominated by christian fundamentalists. I was called last night by an anti-gay marriage group out of Washington. The message was vote republican for your pastor.

3. This is about as empty as “I’ll fight for you” and then doing nothing but backing his banking buddies. Dude, the campaign was over two years ago.

4. The fact is that it gets better for both gay and straight teenagers. I applaud the LGBT elders for reaching out to these kids and telling them to hold on.

Its a fact that the frontal lobes don’t fully develop until 25. For some people, they never fully develop.

5. There you go, a politician that deserves donations and reelection, willing to risk a career by telling the truth to do what is right. Joel Burns deserves your support. For all those claiming I don’t have a plan: There it is, find politicians like this and get them advanced.

6. bdaman You are right it is getting better for those that want the Bush years back Carl Rove and company are coming back. The plutocrats dumped the democrats and are with the people they have a natural affinity for. Republicans rule. The alliance between the corporation and the fundamentalist christian along with a little voter suppression makes for a victory. It worked in 2004 for Bush. Rove was the architect and he and the swift boaters are back. All they need now is for more people to follow Tony c and they will hit a home run.

7. @Mespo: For the age Joel is talking about, these kids are irrational when emotional, which is often.

This is natural, around puberty the human brain is reorganized with myelin sheathing of nerves (which greatly increases transmission speed and more than doubles the speed of mental problem solving). This is a multi-year project, and the first areas rewired are related to social and emotional functions; the last are in the frontal cortex and related to logic and analysis. The human brain is not actually mature until about age 22 or 24.

These children are overwhelmed by a super-charged emotional system — it isn’t just hormones, it is faster and stronger than their cortex and able to override rationality. They are capable of perfectly fine rationality, but in emotional straits the cortex is beaten down.

They do deserve whatever protection we can give them, but short of putting them in solitary confinement, the peers they must interact with are in exactly the same condition: Often overwhelmed by their own emotions and irrational. They may understand the rational basis for fair treatment, but unlike matured brains they don’t really have much control over WHEN they are rational.

The realities of politics demand sound bites, and “It Gets Better” is at least a message of hope. If you listen to Joel Burns above, the guy gives out a website and his phone number to help anybody that needs it. To me that is more than just a “buck up” message.

8. Partisan grievances over campaign money piling up

It’s the homestretch to Election Day and the Federal Election Commission’s mailbox is filling up with complaints from political rivals about violations of its arcane campaign financing rules.

The latest is from a conservative group contending that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi violated FEC regulations that restrict coordination between candidates and outside political organizations.

The complaint by Let Freedom Ring, a Pennsylvania-based tax exempt, nonprofit organization, cites news reports in which Pelosi vowed to seek help from liberal-leaning organizations. The complaint lists political expenditures by those organizations in the wake of Pelosi’s remarks.

The comments by Pelosi and other Democratic officials, followed by liberal group ad spending, make “it perfectly clear that several organizations yielded to the demands of Democratic leaders and staffers,” the complaint alleges.

Read more: http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2010/10/22/1338416/partisan-grievances-over-campaign.html#ixzz135seDNqu

9. I think all the trouble posting lately is in response to all the complaints being made lately in comment sections across the net. They’re trying to slow them down.

Poor Juan Williams

10. He’ll never love you, the way I would love you. Cause if he did he wouldn’t, no no make you cry.

I wanna see you kiss him good bye.

11. Councilman Burn’s remarks were heartfelt, constructive, and full of the encouragement young people need to hear. Thanks to his courage I am certain that in many homes across America situations have improved and more young people have found the support they need.

12. Children’s brains may not be fully developed. Still, children learn from the examples set by their elders. How many adults act like bullies…rant about gays and lesbians being sinners…talk about God punishing gays and lesbians for their evil lifestyle?

13. You know this issue is so ridiculous…if somebody other than Hitler want to smoke poles let em’….No Harm no foul….

14. @Elaine: Far too many. Racism, homophobia, the subjugation of women and other bigotries are learned from caregivers, at a time when children do not have the tools to reason and accept whatever they are told as indisputable fact, and almost anything they see their parents do as right and just. That early cognitive sabotage can be simply too much to overcome, even as an adult, because it gets wired straight into the emotions.

15. Obama T-shirt serves as voting ‘dress code’ reminder

HOUSTON — A voter who went to the polls Thursday at an early-voting location south of the Texas Medical Center served as this mid-term election’s reminder to keep your politically-themed clothing at home.

“This is ridiculous,” Tamika Francis told 11 News as she stood outside the Fiesta grocery store at Main and Kirby where she had just been denied the right to vote.

“That’s not going to roll with me. Is it going to roll with you?” she asked her mom who had travelled to the polling location with her.

The problem is that Francis was wearing a 2008 Obama election shirt. It has photos of the first family during the campaign accompanied by the phrase “Our President Obama.” The presiding elections judge told her she could not vote, nor could she help her disabled mother vote, until she either turned the shirt inside out or covered it up to hide the message and photos.

16. The Obumbler can even speak for twenty minutes without a script.

A teleprompter will be in use FOR THE FIRST TIME in the Central Hall of Parliament when US President Barack Obama addresses MPs on November eight.

As per the tentative programme being worked out, the address by Obama, who once said that “America has its roots in the India of Mahatma Gandhi”, would not be for more than 20 minutes.

17. Elaine M.
    1, October 22, 2010 at 9:54 am

=========================================================

On that note … did anyone notice how markedly absent “talk to your minister (priest, rabbi, pastor, imam)” was from both men’s remarks. Talk to your parents, talk to your teacher, call me, go to this website … those were all offered …

Could it be that society has finally recognized the fact that much of this hatred which results in bullying and leads to suicide/murder originates within the walls of our religious institutions and spews from the mouths of our religious leaders? … and that no one in their right mind would counsel a homosexual teen to go talk to his/her religious leader?

18. GLBT publishes a list of gay friendly christian churches. There are a few catholic churches in my area. Of course there are many UCC congregations. Most reformm jewish temples are okay since they approve of openly gay rabbis.

19. “Swarthmore mom
    1, October 22, 2010 at 9:36 am
    Poor Juan Williams He got 2 million from Fox. Maybe they can flip him into a republican.”

The reaction that I am seeing by the commentators on TV is,funny.

All of sudden so many people are feeling sorry for him.If you see the books that he has authored it seems as if somewhere along the line he loses his way when he gets on Fox.

But the new contract should help him over the rough spots.

20. Poor Juan Williams He got 2 million from Fox.

Thats because NPR got 1.8 from Soro’s

He’s the one who got Juan fired.

21. Swarthmore mom
    1, October 22, 2010 at 11:15 am

====================================================

Excellent post! (UCC churches have the best reputation as they have been gay-friendly for decades – part of the reason one finds so little problem marriage-wise is that the UCC, based on it’s Congregational roots, has always looked upon marriage as a civil contract not a sacrament )

22. Could anyone viewing Obama’s video above NOT see and hear how hypocritical the man is through his own words versus his actions regarding this issue?

You devout Obama followers—please explain. How can you continue to make excuses for this hypocrite?

23. FFLEO,

I’m not certain to whom you are addressing that question as I have found very few “devout Obama followers” on this site … I’ll just post a small exchange from another thread :

Blouise
    1, October 22, 2010 at 12:01 pm
    HenMan
    1, October 22, 2010 at 11:34 am

President Clinton isn’t the only President who lost things- President Obama lost his copy of “The Progressive’s Handbook”, his copy of the Constitution, and his list of campaign promises.

====================================================

We’ll see if he finds them in time for 2012 ….

++++++++++++++++++++++

The sarcasm evidences the feelings ….

24. President Obama lost his copy of “The Progressive’s Handbook”, his copy of the Constitution, and his list of campaign promises.

Then I said

Don’t forget the Long Form

25. Bdaman– I had to look up “Long Form” (i.e. Long Form Birth Certificate) on Bing. Most of us Lefties don’t share your obsession with Obama’s birth certificate. We have more important problems with him.

26. He did loose his birth certificate.

On Page 26 of “Dreams of My Father”, Obama writes:

“I discovered this article, folded away among my birth certificate and old vaccination forms, when I was in high school,”

Obviously what was produced for the internet is not the same as what he discovered when he was in high school.

27. FFLEO I never was a devout Obama supporter. You can ask my husband. He was one. I am voting a straight democratic ticket this time because the Tea Party and your candidate for Governor Jan Brewer are some scary folks. Also, some of the republicans in Texas want to tamper with the history books.

28. FFLEO Maybe you will want to vote for Huckabee if he is the republican nominee. We could do better with a baptist preacher, right?

29. SwM,

The hell they want to mess with the history books…They want to rewrite it…They want to take out any portion that states that Congress shall make no laws respecting….

Texas OKs school textbook changes
    Critics claim conservatives trying to revise history

AUSTIN, Texas — The Texas State Board of Education adopted a social studies and history curriculum Friday that amends or waters down the teaching of the civil rights movement, religious freedoms, America’s relationship with the U.N. and hundreds of other items.

30. Swarthmore Mom,

I understand. As far as ol’ Huck goes, I cannot stand him either. I have stated before that religious fools and charlatans have hijacked ‘My Party’. However, the Democrat leadership is just as bad…I thoroughly regret my votes for Mr. Obama and the other Democrats for whom I voted and the one I supported financially.

31. FFLEO I don’t regret it. That crazy old McCain is a bigger liar than any politician I know of. He was pals with Ted Kennedy and now he’s pals with Sarah Palin and is against everything he professed to believe in. He stabbed Charlie Christ in the back. No one in the democratic leadership compares to Jim DeMint.

32. Texas and close it shall be…Iowa has something to prove they both have talent….Iowa does not give up on yardage and Texas will have to do a better job with the QB and receiving. If they can catch they will run away with the game…But Defensively….they will have to watch the line closely…Still much to my chagrin was the UCLA melee….They gave that game away…so…Iowa is aware and they will see if they can upset the Defense and run with with it….

I think Texas might win tonight…for the players and of course the economy…(players are paid more) I hope it goes to seven…but hey the Tigers aren’t in in so..I don’t really care so long as the AL wins the Series…regardless of who wins….

33. Bdaman,

You have been structed to not speak on this subject until prodded. You have now broken the oath of all of the Birthers. Your penalty will be discussed the next meeting of the Intelligence Hall Of Patriots. Do not forget the extra knuckle birther shake.

34. HenMan you may be on to something. Maybe thats why Obama doesn’t want to show the long form. Based on his actions it looks like he’s cut from the same cloth.

35. A grim picture of the US and Britain’s legacy in Iraq has been revealed in a massive leak of American military documents that detail torture, summary executions and war crimes.

Almost 400,000 secret US army field reports have been passed to the Guardian and a number of other international media organisations via the whistleblowing website WikiLeaks.

The electronic archive is believed to emanate from the same dissident US army intelligence analyst who earlier this year is alleged to have leaked a smaller tranche of 90,000 logs chronicling bloody encounters and civilian killings in the Afghan war.

The new logs detail how:

36. I wish this bug would get worked out.

37. Former Federal LEO
    1, October 22, 2010 at 6:05 pm
    Blouise,

I am not accusing anyone; I just wanted any devout follower to explain.

====================================================

I know …. I figure you’ll have to go on a different blog … does the White House have one? ;)

38. Bdaman– Among the 400,000 leaked documents on the Iraq War, did they find the location of the “Weapons of Mass Destruction”? You remember…”The smoking gun that could come in the form of a mushroom cloud”…(George W. Bush) or “But we don’t want the smoking gun to be a mushroom cloud”…(Condoleezza Rice). I hope they find them soon because I have been cowering under my bed since 2002 and I’m damned tired of eating dust bunnies for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

39. You fell for the WMD trick? Oldest trick in the book.

There never were any WMD’s in Irag. Saddam destroyed some and shipped the rest to Syria.

40. Bdaman– How about the mobile chemical weapons labs? Did they find them? I know for certain they existed, because Colin Powell showed authentic cartoon drawings of them to the United Nations. Not to mention the vials of real anthrax- I’m sure glad he didn’t drop those!!

41. I gotta tell you Bda, those were some of our finest hours.

Those drawings presented to Secretary of State Colin Powell by CIA Director George Tenet and his Deputy Director John E. McLaughlin were sooo cute.

Remember Curveball, the taxicab driver who convinced the CIA he was a chemical engineer and knew for certain that the mobile chemical labs existed when in all actuality the labs were nothing more than hydrogen production units used to fill artillery balloons? Man, American intelligence at its finest … Tenet even got a medal for all his good work.

HenMan is still a believer ’cause he carries his gas mask wherever he goes … his Hazmat suits are color co-ordinated to the seasons. (The man knows fashion.)

42. SNARK:

“Bdaman

I wish this bug would get worked out. It auto erases my name and e-mail and takes about five minutes for the comment to show up.”

——-

Maybe when the singularity occurred the Interweb decided it just didn’t want to hear any more birther crap. :-)

I saw my original Certificate of Live Birth from Deaconess Hospital (a copy of which was filed with the state) when I was about 9. It was thereafter destroyed or lost. I’m personally glad Missouri went to the short form because the original CoLB had a lot of personal information (with serious cultural implications) on it including medical information about the mother that no one should have privy to except the mother. My CoLB was revelatory and while I was a precocious child it had words and implications that were distressing to me at even a young age. So I asked my mother what it meant. It made her cry.

Actually, it started out as snark, now I’m just pissed: F**k the nosey-assed birthers. I’ve met few conspiracy theories I can’t get behind but even I’m not that crazy or self-deluded. It’s about racism and an unwillingness to accept cultural and societal change. Scratch a birther and you’ll find a scared racist.

43. I know what you mean Lottakatz it’s like the claim he’s a Muslim when everyone knows he’s a Christian but he continues to leave the word creator out when reciting the Declaration of Independence.

Then again you have to realize that one, he’s a politician and they all lie, and two, he’s a liberal and most of those don’t believe in a creator.

44. During the past two months, I’ve read several articles about Obama omitting the phrase “by their Creator” when quoting from the Declaration of Independence. Most of these articles have pointed out three examples. I’ve found a few more which I’ll quote from below. I went to http://www.whitehouse.gov and clicked on “Briefing Room”. I searched the site using the words “Inalienable“, “Unalienable“, and “Creator“.

45. “Bdaman
    1, October 22, 2010 at 7:30 pm
    I wish this bug would get worked out.

Same here,again I thought only I was having that problem.I wonder if someone is trying to hijack the site.

46. I wonder if someone is trying to hijack the site.

When this first started to be a problem it happened on every wordpress blog I went to. One thing I noticed is the new hovercard option. This may be affecting it. Also I find that if I leave a tab open with JT’s blog and switch to another tab it operates slowly but if I close the tab with JT’s blog I get normal function.
    Last but not least I run Registry Mechanic and use to only get maybe ten problems on a scan then it jumped to mid 40’s and is now pushing into the hundreds. I put in an assist with Spyware Doctor and awaiting a response.

I know return you back to your wondering.

P.S. it’s a trial run on limiting free speech brought to you by the Obama Administration.

47. Bdaman:

If I use IE my post shows and name ,email address is still in the log in area here,If I use FIREFOX everything is blank and I have to log in again.

And sometimes I get the webpage is not responding error message,also I find the pages sometime start to roll back to the first post .

48. Also after you post it doesn’t show your comment right away.

Makes me feel like it goes to a moderator first or somewhere else before it post it.

49. All,

I’m using Chrome and am experiencing the same delay … but things seem to be awfully slow on other sites as well. I thought it was just my computer and internet connection.

50. Bdaman:
    I just started using Firefox recently because IE started loading really slow,and now it seems that what ever problem was going on in IE has been resolved.

51. Bdaman:
    Man that is really strange”In IE it won’t let me put anything in.”

What ever you do,don’t Google your problem,you come away with more questions than answers.

52. BTW:

Michael MooreOscar and Emmy-winning director
    Posted: October 22, 2010 08:09 PM

Juan Williams Is Right: Political Correctness About Terrorists Must End!

An Open Letter to Juan Williams

Dear Juan,

Sorry to hear you got fired by National Public Radio for saying on Fox that you get nervous when you see Muslims on a plane with you. It was dumb to say such a thing, but I don’t think saying one dumb thing should be a firing offense. (I DO think an NPR journalist wanting to take money from Fox News to be a regular commentator should be a firing offense, but that’s another story).

53. Bdaman:
    Case in point,I just came in from running errand,the above thread showed 77 comments but when logging into post it showed as of now with this post should be 88.

54. And Iowa did its job well…two home games lost….what will the cost to Mack Brown be…his head on a platter…will be the cry of some of the alumni…

55. Bdaman– You said “he (Obama) continues to leave the word “creator” out when reciting the Declaration of Independence”. Really? That’s all you’ve got? In the example you provided he gave a short excerpt- he also didn’t mention any of the grievances against King George III. Maybe he wasn’t using his Teleprompter, the other thing you Righties obsess over. Pretty small-time stuff compared to invading a country that had nothing to do with Sept. 11. I’m surprised G.W. Bush didn’t invade Canada. We could have saved billions on shipping costs alone-not to mention the free health care for our uninsured wounded soldiers. The reason he didn’t was that he feared a Canadian occupation of the U.S., which would have resulted in healthier Americans, a 95% reduction in the homicide rate, some great new comedians, and a 95% reduction in military expenditures. Sounds good to me, now that I think aboot it, eh?

56. HenMen,

Don’t forget the Movie Industry filming location sites….Vancouver…is a mecca for the industry….

57. AY- It’s a great country. I wish we were more like them. Our ongoing inability to get along with the rest of the world and our aggressive foreign policy have bankrupted us and made us an international pariah. It didn’t have to be that way.

58. I have been there many times…Windsor a lot…pretty much all over Ontario, Toronto, Niagara Falls, Scarborough, St. Thomas, New London….I wonder if Wally World is still there….

Yes, I agree Canada is beautiful….but damn cold…..especially Toronto in January….

59. Bdaman: “I know what you mean Lottakatz it’s like the claim he’s a Muslim when everyone knows he’s a Christian but he continues to leave the word creator out when reciting the Declaration of Independence.”
    ——

As do I and I have for decades. Similarly, I’ve testified before a grand jury, arbitrators and various investigators for affidavits and refuse to swear (“so help you god”) but choose to affirm. So?

The alteration to the pledge (“under god”) came about as a quisling nod to the anti-red hysteria of the 50’s. The words should stick in the throat of a patriot.

We elected a President, not the nations pastor. The less about or related to religion from a politician the better IMO

60. lottakatz- I give you a secular “Amen”. I love to remind conservatives that Russia, Cuba, and North Korea all salute red, white, and blue flags. The nerve of them Commies- they don’t say “under God” either. We should make them all show us their birth certificates. Damn furriners!

61. We elected a President, not the nations pastor.
    Maybe he wasn’t using his Teleprompter

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Getting Back To God: Obama Uses the Word “Creator” For the Second Time in 2 Days When Quoting the Declaration

They must have been listening to all the chatter on the net.

Lottakatz the point is someone who proclaims to be a Christian would never leave out the most important part. It’s where the rights come from according to the declaration.

Hen he uses the prompter 99.9999999999999 percent of the time.

62. Bdaman– Among the 400,000 leaked documents on the Iraq War, did they find the location of the “Weapons of Mass Destruction”? You remember…”The smoking gun that could come in the form of a mushroom cloud”

Hen, remember, the old Toyota commercial

Chew
    ax for it

Chew got it

Toychoda

WikiLeaks Show WMD Hunt Continued in Iraq – With Surprising Results

Read More http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2010/10/wikileaks-show-wmd-hunt-continued-in-iraq-with-surprising-results/#ixzz13H5ykkL6

63. From Huffington Post (10/24/2010)

New Hampshire’s Largest Newspaper, Union Leader Of Manchester, Won’t Print Gay Marriage Notices

Excerpt:
    CONCORD, N.H. — New Hampshire’s largest newspaper is defending its decision to refuse to publish marriage notices for gay couples.

New Hampshire is one of five states to have legalized gay marriage. Two men getting married in Portsmouth on Saturday wanted to publish a marriage notice in the Union Leader of Manchester but were refused.

The newspaper says it has a constitutional right to choose what to print and opposes the new law. Publisher Joe McQuaid says the paper isn’t anti-gay but believes marriage is between a man and a woman.

64. Bdaman- Your wired.com article on WMD’s in Iraq has lots of speculation and very little substance. Nice photo of the Bullets of Mass Destruction however. Or are they tiny artillery rounds?