178174170px-karl_roveKarl Rove is promising to defy the subpoena issued by John Conyers — citing instructions from Bush lawyers shortly before the end of the Administration. The statement may indicate that President Bush is preparing for a novel fight: asserting executive privilege against the position of the sitting president (who would presumably support Congress in this matter). In the interview, Rove compares himself to the Great White Whale in Moby Dick.

Appearing on O’Reilly this week, Rove had the following exchange:

Rove: I have been directed, again on January 16, by the outgoing president’s legal counsel, not to respond to a subpoena, exerting privilege on behalf of the former president and his close aides.

O’Reilly: So you’re not even going to show?

Rove: No, and —

O’Reilly: What if they hold you in contempt of Congress?

Rove: Look, this issue is — let’s step back for a minute. This issue of whether or not I should show up — I’ve never exerted any personal privilege, I’ve never said I have a personal right not to show up.

O’Reilly: No, but you’re a counselor to the president, it’s executive — I got all that. But let’s go beyond the argument. I know your argument. Say Conyers says Mr. Rove is in contempt of Congress. What happens then?

Rove: Well, look, this issue is before the United States Circuit Court of Appeals in the District of Columbia. Rep. Conyers could have waited until they resolved the issue one way or the other, gave guidance to him and gave guidance to the former president and to the current president. But instead, he decided to go forward with this — I don’t know if I want to call it a witch hunt, I don’t think of myself as a witch, but I’m certain — this is a guy who went to the cloak room and said, ‘Somebody has to get his –‘ and then filled in a crude way to describe my posterior. He’s sort of like Captain Ahab and I’m the whale.

This could be extremely interesting. While Obama appears (again) eager to avoid a fight over such issues, Conyers to pushing ahead. It will force Obama to take a side. If he supports Conyers, he would waive any executive privilege claims. This would leave Bush as asserting the privilege while the current president sees no need to protect the information. This is precisely the plan that Bush lawyers have clearly discussed with Rove, who noted ” “It’s generally agreed that former presidents retain executive privilege as to matters occurring during their term. We’ll solicit the views of the new White House counsel and, if there is a disagreement, assume that the matter will be resolved among the courts, the president and the former president.”

It would also put pressure on Eric Holder to lift the bar on the submission of the criminal contempt charge to a grand jury.

For John Conyers, I suggest that he explain the reason why he has chosen to go forward to force this testimony. Here is the relevant quote:

Captain Ahab: Speak not to me of blasphemy, man; I’d strike the sun if it insulted me. Look ye, Starbuck, all visible objects are but as pasteboard masks. Some inscrutable yet reasoning thing puts forth the molding of their features. The white whale tasks me; he heaps me. Yet he is but a mask. ‘Tis the thing behind the mask I chiefly hate; the malignant thing that has plagued mankind since time began; the thing that maws and mutilates our race, not killing us outright but letting us live on, with half a heart and half a lung.

The “malignant thing that has plagued mankind” is scheduled to appear in the House Judiciary next week or facing a new harpooning by a criminal contempt sanction.

For the story, click here.

119 thoughts on “The Whale Speaks: Rove Says That He Will Defy Congress and That Bush Lawyers Told Him Not to Cooperate in the Final Days of the Administration”

1. Buddha Is Laughing 1, January 30, 2009 at 1:31 pm

If mom let’s you out to fight, be sure to head my way.

2. Buddha:

Patty C has some great recipes. I like the vegetable lasagna one she gave a long time ago. That soup she suggested is incredible too. I actually froze some!

3. Buddha Is Laughing 1, January 30, 2009 at 5:25 pm

Well clearly that’s because you’re feeding your own.

I never once threatened you with anything other than exchanging telephone numbers.

Unless of course you’re saying that exchanging telephone numbers frightens you.

It’s easy to sit back and lie about someone. In court I believe they call that “Hearsay”. You claim I said something but when asked to prove it, you can’t do it.

And then accuse me of being psychotic for asking you to prove your slanderous lies about me.

I on the other hand have no problem proving your threats. Your constant turning to talk of violence whenever someone dares to stand up to you in here.

The posts don’t lie.

Only liars lie.

4. Although, honestly, I am in the market for a good lasagna recipe. I have a box of lasagna noodles old enough to vote I should use. What’s the word on that, mespo?

5. As for seeing a doctor, you’re the one making all the threats of violence in a blog.

And the comments prove it.

Buddha Is Laughing 1, January 30, 2009 at 1:31 pm

“If mom let’s you out to fight, be sure to head my way.”

Buddha Is Laughing 1, January 30, 2009 at 2:11 pm

“come on to Kansas City, Mr. Mouth.”

Buddha Is Laughing 1, January 30, 2009 at 2:17 pm

“Violence is the last resort, but it seems the only option that will satisfy you, so come on down.”

Buddha Is Laughing 1, January 30, 2009 at 1:28 pm

“I’m still waiting in Kansas City, Mr. Big Balls. Where are you?”

Buddha Is Laughing 1, January 30, 2009 at 1:31 pm

“I don’t usually beat on the mentally handicapped, but since you seem so insistent on being violent, come on down.”

As we see, this sampling of your threats is here for all in black and white.

You have yet however to produce one from me.

6. Hey, I have both torellini and the makings for alfredo. Care to share the recipe?

7. Patty C:

“From the famous Silver Palate caterers.”

*********

That’s my favorite book in my kitchen. I ‘m looking at it now. Try that Tortellini Salad Alfredo. Wow!

8. No, Wayne. And this is serious. I’M NOT FEEDING YOUR PSYCHOSIS ANYMORE. I’m not going to dig through all your garbage again. You got trounced, you got threatening and then you stormed off like the child you are to sulk until you had the balls to come back.

Seek help. You need it.

But all that was proved here is how crazy you really are.

9. Yea, instead of producing a comment supporting your false claims that I “physically threatened you” you come back with that lame juvenile tripe.

You’re a liar, and you just proved that.

10. Buddha Is Laughing 1, January 30, 2009 at 5:13 pm

Gyges,

Dude. Sorry, I truly am, but I’m not likely to let physical threats drop.

You’re a liar.

There isn’t ONE SINGLE COMMENT of mine that even hints of a physical threat.

Not ONE.

I offered to “EXCHANGE CONTACT INFORMATION” and “SPEAK CASUALLY ON THE PHONE”.

If that’s what constitutes a physical threat to you, then you are a bigger wimp than you sound like.

You on the other have threatened me now repeatedly.

So you’re using a right wing troll tactic now, of accusing me of what you yourself just got through doing.

Think I’m wrong?

Fine.

Show us ONE COMMENT where I “physically threatened” you.

Just one.

11. Gyges,

Dude. Sorry, I truly am, but I’m not likely to let physical threats drop. As far as larger than life, well, it’s called ‘an act.’ Feathers. Horns. Wild colors. On my part anyway. I’m a formidable opponent on many levels but I am far from perfect or superhuman. At least with Bron, he is somewhat on topic, but Wayne, well, Wayne is skirting actionable territory and is possibly a dangerous psychotic.

For your pleasure, I’ve said what I had to say to him.

As for Bron, he wants to know what’s wrong with PNAC, I told him where to look. I think he may have learned a lesson about physical confrontation judging by his last post. I have no issue with earnest questions. As long as he doesn’t break out the propaganda stick. In this room, the propaganda stick always meets resistance.

I still think this mindset of people like this just goes to further illustrate what Melville said about evil. Teach by example. A cautionary tale. Political fetal pigs in formaldehyde. They are annoying and distracting, but I think they provide a window into the Neocon mind that illustrates to people undecided that, yes, there are some political mindsets and people that are ultimately incapable of unhurtful acts. Yes, there IS an enemy within our system. He is us as Walt once said. We cannot heal ourselves if we don’t examine the afflicted parts and excise the offending tissue from the body politic. These are cancers. One might be curable. The other most certainly fatal. But now the illness has a face.

12. Wayne:

please leave Buddha alone. I have found some information about him that would make you ashamed of yourself for talking like that to him. Suffice it say that the illusion is his. Kind of like the Star Trek episode (the original) where Captain Pike is left with the big headed guys.

Hope this helps.

13. Buddha Is Laughing 1, January 30, 2009 at 4:36 pm

Hey Wayne,

I’ve told you what you need to do to see me IRL. So respectfully, put up or shut up Billy Badass. See your problem is you think you’re dealing with a soldier when I’m more like a general.

A general idiot perhaps.

For the last time, no one spoke of fighting other than you.

I’ve said a half dozen times now I would never challenge someone in a blog to fight, (who would other than a juvenile moron?) nor would I accept such a challenge, yet you keep lying and pretending I am because you’re too much the coward to come out of anonymity.

In fact, whenever you meet someone you can’t beat in a debate, you turn to bloviating about your “30 years of martial arts” and threatening to “kick their ass”.

You’re a joke.

And Buddha’s still laughing at you.

14. Mike,

Some of the turkey or chicken Italian-style sausages are really quite good and I add beans (black, kidney, and cannellini) to mine also, which adds another layer of flavor and protein volume that we really appreciate, And I freeze a ton of it.

I love to fool around with spices and herbs, a lot of which I grow myself. It’s fun!

Bon Appetit!

15. I think they believe their own bullshit as well. They’re surrounded by sycophants inflating their already galaxy sized egos. A true leader does everything in her or his power to break through the “power bubble” that surrounds them, so they will learn about themselves and the reality of the situation. I also think maya explains a lot of things, including what is happening on this blog–Yoicks!

16. Jill,

You know Sanskrit?

Also, do you remember when the long drawn out arguments were about the topic at hand, not who could piss the farthest into the wind? Oh how I long for the good old days.

I think these people do (at least on the surface) think of themselves as larger than life figures. If you think the fate of the country rests on your shoulders, it’s easier to justify your actions as necessary. If you just so happen to profit from your necessary actions, so much the better.