As parents, many of us have an ever-expanding list of things to worry about for our children. We can now add “nasal maggots.” That’s right, nasal maggots. School officials are warning parents in Rhode Island that students are snorting Smarties and the latest fad is causing allergic reactions, lung irritations, and potential maggots in the nasal cavities.
School officials say that children are hearing about the fad from Youtube and it has become a “widespread phenomenon.” A few are below.
On one level, it seems pretty harmless. “Smoking” smarties is usually just grounding up the candy and blowing out the powder to look like smoke. It mimics real smoking which is obviously not good for kids who may move on to the real thing. However, that aspects has led many to say that the dangers are remote. It has the same danger as candy cigarettes that we used to play with as kids.
However, around the country officials say that kids are also snorting smarties. Rathe than glorifying cigarette smoking, this use is glorifying drug use. There is no actual high (no not even a sugar high), because there can be infections and other problems, including nasal maggots. I remain unsure however why nasal maggots is such an obvious danger or the link to this fad.
This is still an improvement over my childhood where kids would sniff glue and paint. However, I would think one warning about nasal maggots would be enough for most kids. It certainly show that when it comes to Smarties, you are not always what you eat or snort.