New Year’s Eve brought in the New Year with the usual array of injuries from the combination of excessive drinking, crowds, and other factors. Perhaps the most bizarre and ironic was the death of a Filipino man who decided to hug a giant firecracker appropriately named “Goodbye Philippines” just before it exploded. It took the man with it.
The man was reportedly quite drunk, though it is bizarre that no one was responsible enough to keep people away from the huge pyrotechnic device. In all the health department reported that this death was part of 380 injuries due to fireworks and four others due to stray bullets. At least nine involved children with amputated fingers due to fireworks.