Six Police Officers Shoot Man 43 Times in Self-Defense — Stopping to Reload in Three Volleys

59_Shots.sff.embedded.prod_affiliate.81Police insist that they were acting in self-defense when they shoot Alonzo Heyward in Chattanooga, Tennessee. There is no question that Heyward was carrying a rifle around his neighborhood and ranting about suicide. However, it was the response to the danger that has people demanding answers: the six officers fired 59 rounds at him — hitting him 43 times. The officers fired three volleys and stopped to reload before continuing to shoot the man.

Family insist that Heyward told the officers, “I’m not out here to hurt anybody.” Police tried to disarm him and have called the matter another case of “suicide by cop.” Making matters more tense is that all of the officers were white and Heyward, 32, is black.

His father, James Marine, 61, says that his son was merely depressed and wanted someone to speak to. Notably, the police first tried a stun gun, which Heyward did not drop the gun. He then, according to police, ignored commands to drop the rifle and the police fired when he moved the weapon.

For the full story, click here

8 thoughts on “Six Police Officers Shoot Man 43 Times in Self-Defense — Stopping to Reload in Three Volleys”

  1. Yep, this certainly stirred up a shit-storm down here, as well it should. It sounds like the over-responding officers were bored and stupid, an unbeatable combination. I think the felons are still on paid leave. We need a few more one-bullet Barney Fifes out there instead of the trigger-happy Gonzos we have now.

  2. It sounds more like the victim was guilty of being black and carrying a gun. How in God’s earth did it take 43 bullet wounds before this dangerous individual was subdued?? Are any charges being considered against these felons/police officers?

  3. In Los Angeles it is called suicide by cop … only white right wingers can carry guns on the street or to presidential talks.

  4. This was clearly excessive use of force. Bonnie and Clyde were killed by 6 police officers and their body wounds only totaled 50, 25 each.

  5. AY:

    I am glad you posted first about this,I didn’t know what to say about this,and still don’t.

    Maybe, Mans inhumanity to man,will suffice for now.

  6. 43 hit 59 shots about 72.8 or 73 percent accuracy. I don’t like those odds where did the other 27 percent go?

    Black man, depressed, Tennessee? Tried the stun gun, where the hell was the taser, this time?

    He moved his rifle and that’s why they reacted. BULL SHIT, black man, depressed with a gun or rile and Tennessee….

    That is all that needs to be said.

Comments are closed.