John Green 50, has attained the novel status of being banned from keeping dogs for ten years. Green’s victim was a Dalmatian named Barney, who he overfed to the point that he weighed “11 stone” — a stone is roughly the equivalent to 14 pounds. This made Barney look like he ate the other 100 Dalmatians.
Barney is now a slim 4 stone dog. It appears that Green allowed Barney to eat whatever he ate including chips and chocolate. The reference to chocolate threw me because I was always told that chocolate was toxic for dogs. It is. However, it takes, on average, about 100-150 mg/kg of the toxic element in chocolate, theobromine, to cause a toxic reaction. Milk chocolate contains 44 mg of theobromine per oz.
RSPCA inspectors raided Green’s home and took Barney. They then hit Green with the penalty for what was viewed as animal cruelty. Green confessed to animal cruelty and was also ordered to complete 200 hours of unpaid work.
RSPCA inspector Rachel Andrews noted: “With Christmas just round the corner it might be tempting to overfeed them, but it’s important to remember that those extra pounds can have a huge impact on their comfort, health and well-being.” Well, yes, but I want to know how Andrews got Barney to drop from 11 to 4 stone and whether he is willing to place me in protective custody after Christmas on the same canine slim fast program.
By the way, England’s Animal Welfare Act mandates that overfeeding a cat or dog can result in a fine of up to £20,000 or even 12 months’ jail.
For the full story, click here.