The recent opening of a Golden Corral in Casper Wyoming produced quite the buzz of conversation, just not what the Norovirus-like symptoms after eating at the restaurant. Norovirus is transmitted by fecal contamination of food or water.
Public health director Robert Harrington’s response was what caught my eye: “We now have reports of 167 people who have self-reported their illness, and all report dining at that particular restaurant. That doesn’t completely indict the restaurant, but it does make a suggestive association.” I realize the need to be fair and judicious but 167 sick customers would seem a bit more than “suggestive.” However, there has been an increase in food borne illnesses in the area.
The story raises an interesting causation question if the actual source is not found in the restaurant. In a negligence action, that leaves the circumstantial case of looking at the sheer numbers, timing, and odds. This is not uncommon in food sickness cases but with the increase in such reported illnesses it would require probability testimony from a witness presumably. Judges can be somewhat leery of such testimony but it has been allowed in past cases.
Source: K2Radio and Billings Gazette
16 thoughts on ““Help Yourself To Happiness”: Golden Corral Implicated In Food Poisoning of 167 People At New Restaurant”
Read here how increase celerity of mind and get happiness.
All the new pathogens created by Round up Ready crops are being studied. Here is the latest:
This case reminds me a little of the Jewel food stores salmonella cases in the 80’s. Lots of victims over the Chicagoland area.
It might be Dr. Hubers new fungus/virus organism associated with Round up Ready ™ crops discovered at Purdue University. It can only be seen under an electron microscope.
The FDA is ignoring this new pathogen. It can be in meat as well from animals fed GMO RR crops.
This is another reason why I stopped eating any GMO foodstuffs 8 years ago. The only way to avoid this pathogen is to eat organic food or Non-GMO project verified foods.
What a story! It really makes you think twice about going out to eat.
Great read. Thanks
did someone mention chocolate fountain….?
How old are the water and sewer pipes and how close together are they? Old leaky pipes can let untreated sewage into the water lines. The restaurant;s water line might be one of the pipes that’s particularly vulnerable.
Their insurance carrier will want to settle it would seem.
All that glitters is not gold.
Foot and mouth disease from the cow dung in the corral.
My policy….. Never eat at a place where snot bearing folks that wipe their noses with the hand and then grab the serving spoon….. You’re just asking for it….. I suggest you have a better chance at a Wendy’s drive through and being a cop….
Thank Pasta we have none of that particular blight on on landscape here. We do, however, get their ads on TV and I noticed a while back that they now have a chocolate fountain for your dining ‘pleasure’.
Lets see, warm milk chocolate streaming down where dozens of little nose pickers and their but scratching parents can stick their fingers – or worse – into it to be heated to a nice incubator temp and recirculated back for your later enjoyment seems like a class action suit waiting to happen
The story raises an interesting causation question if the actual source is not found in the restaurant.
In public health the first duty would be to warn the public of a potential threat….so the 167 does not balloon to 500+deaths. That said, when the source is found, if it were found elsewhere than said mentioned establishment, or other gluttony sta du jour, then the information could be disseminated as well. People that own restaurants know that these public protections protect everyone, including them.
I would think 167 cases is a strong indicator that the golden corral is liable.
The epitome of res ipsa loquitur?
Or deity? 🙁
Porceleon? Is that a new alien diety?
Comments are closed.